Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Jackie O Inspiration


Being an extremely nostalgic person, I absolutely love old wedding photos. I'm not quite sure what it is.......I just can't get enough of them. I thought it might be fun to go down memory lane every now and then and try to find some true inspiration.

I thought we would start off with one of the most iconic brides there ever was....Ms. Jackie O. Ohhhhh how I love thee! Truly, one of my favorites- A fashion icon my mother and I can talk about for hours (I love how my mom talks about her like she was an old girlfriend from high school....I swear she knows every story).

The story goes that Jackie didn't even like her wedding gown. Supposedly, the Kennedy's picked it out for her. It was made with 50 yards of ivory silk taffeta and took more than two months to make. The designer was Ann Lowe, an African-American dress-maker. The dress featured a portrait neckline and bouffant skirt decorated with interwoven bands of tucking and tiny wax flowers.

Jackie wore her grandmother’s heirloom rose point lace veil, attached to her hair with a small tiara of lace and traditional orange blossoms. She also wore a single strand of family pearls, a diamond leaf pin, which was a wedding present from Ambassador and Mrs. Joseph P. Kennedy, and a diamond bracelet the groom had presented to her the evening before the wedding. She carried a bouquet of white and pink spray orchids and gardenias.

Do you think it was a coincidence that I wore a cathedral veil and my mother's bridal bouquet was gardenias??? I think not.

{information about the gown from John F. Kennedy Library and Museum }

No comments: